Name of Artist Educator: Leung Yiu Hong
Excercise Category: Class Prelude
Creating with images is not a privilege of photography. The representation of the photo becomes a major issue as it can endow the photo with new meanings.
Concept / Inspiration:
Creating with images is not a privilege of photography. The way an image is presented can also enhance its reading layers. Therefore, after an image is selected and processed, the representation of the photo becomes a major issue as it can endow the photo with new meanings. Apart from the traditional printing technology like that of Kodak, there are other kinds of techniques that can copy images to materials such as paper, fabric, wood, etc., and image transfer is one of them. Image transfer is not limited by the thickness of the material; it just takes a few steps and simple equipment to make an image malleable. Basically, the technique uses powerful solvents to dissolve pigments on printed matters and immediately transfer the pigments to other absorbent materials, such as wood, fabric and paper.
To learn image transfer and experiment with different materials.
Materials / Equipment:
- Wintergreen oil
- Plastic container
- Paper (or other absorbent materials such as wood, fabric, tissue)
- Chisel, chopstick, spoon
- Inkjet printed materials such as magazine, newspaper
- Inkjet printer
- Instructor demonstrates the technique with two powerful solvents: thinner and wintergreen oil.
- Each student would bring a photo and print two colour copies and two black-and-white copies of it at school using inkjet printer.
- Apply thinner with a brush on the back of the image to be transferred. As thinner evaporates quickly, move to the next step as soon as possible. 【Image 1】
- Tape the printed matter to drawing paper, the side with an image should face the paper.
- Students will seize the time and use tools such as burin or spoon to rub the backside of the image, both vertically and horizontally, with even pressure. 【Image 2】
- The image will then be transferred to the drawing paper. 【Image 3】
Note 1: As thinner evaporates quickly, once it starts to dry out, no rubbing will transfer the image, therefore this step needs to be done quickly. It is better to apply thinner onto a small area one at a time, rub and then repeat the process bit by bit.
Note 2: Apply wintergreen oil just as thinner, but as it is oil-based, it does not evaporate as quickly as thinner. Therefore it will take longer to dry out after applying it on the backside of the printed matter. There will be more time to rub and transfer the image, which means a larger size image can be transferred in one go.